Tiramisu the Classic Italian Favourite
Marco, our resident Italian Suma chef brings to you an irresistible tiramisu recipe. The creaminess of the mascarpone cheese, layered with espresso-soaked sponge really makes this dessert perfect for parties. For lovers of strong coffee and rich chocolate, this is one of the easiest recipes you’ll try.
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 200ml espresso or coffee
- 200g sponge fingers
- 4 eggs separated
- 100g icing sugar
- 40ml amaretto or brandy
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Whisk together the egg yolks, icing sugar and amaretto or brandy into a thick cream consistency.
- In another small bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into the creamy mascarpone mixture.
- Using a shallow bowl, fill with espresso, then quickly dip the sponge fingers in until they are nicely soaked but not soggy. Layer these into a dish until you have used half
of them, then spread over the creamy mixture. Repeat process so you have four layers consisting of sponge, cream, sponge and then finally cream on top.
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least four hours – the longer the better.
- Before serving dust generously with cocoa powder using a sieve.