Vegetarian Christmas Pudding Recipe
Christmas Pudding Recipe
Many people are disappointed with the vast array of factory mass produced vegetarian Christmas pudding’s on the market and equally daunted by the prospect of making their own.
So, we asked Sheena (Suma’s best pudding, cake and desert maker) amongst her many other talents, to give us an easy to follow recipe for a perfect Christmas pudding to amaze your friends and family.
We’ve also included the manufacturer of the ingredients and the price list codes. This one is totally vegetarian friendly thanks to the vegetarian suet.
- 90g/3oz Breadcrumbs
- 45g/1.5oz Plain Flour (FG069)
- 125g/4oz Demerara (LJ053)
- 125g/4oz Vegetarian Suet (GT032)
- 125g/4oz Sultanas (DR216)
- 125g/4oz Raisins (DR053)
- 125g/4oz Currants (DR173)
- 60g/2oz Chopped Almonds (NU005)
- 30g/1oz Chopped Cherries (DR202)
- 60g/2oz Mixed Peel (DR203)
- Rind of 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons of brandy
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (HE150)
- 1 tsp mixed spice (HE147)
- Pinch of Bicarb (HE299)
- Pinch of salt (LJ083)
- 2 Eggs (CV794)
- Easy Method. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add lemon zest, brandy and beaten egg and mix well.
Place in a well greased 1 ½ pint (850ml) bowl. Cover with two well greased pieces of greaseproof paper, making sure there are two folds across the middle.
- Cooking. Steam for six hours, ensuring the pan never boils dry, remove the greaseproof paper when cold.
- Storage Re-cover with new greaseproof paper and store until needed
- Serving. Relax with a glass of wine whilst steaming for 3 hours before serving. Remember not to let the pan boil dry.
- Enjoy !
Sheena’s Tip – you can mix and match the fruits to suit your taste, just keep the total weight the same. Any of our vine fruit mixes EG DR691 have a mix of dried fruits already to use. Or if you prefer to be a little more exotic add some chopped apricots, figs, prunes, dates.
Check out some more Suma recipes over here