Home / Recipes / Gluten Free /
Simple Apple and Chilli Chutney
- 1.5kg cooking apples or crab apples
- 750g golden granulated sugar
- 500g raisins or sultanas
- 500g onions
- 650ml cider vinegar
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 3 red chillies (more if you like it hot!)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp each of cinnamon, cumin and coriander powder
- Ground black pepper (1 tsp or to taste)
- Salt (1/2 tsp or to taste)
- Wash, peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Peel the onions and chop finely. Put all your ingredients into a saucepan and bring them slowly to boil, stirring frequently until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Keep your chutney at a simmer, stirring occasionally until it thickens- this should take around 2 hours (but keep an eye on it).
- Once your chutney has a nice consistency, pour it into sterilised jars (see the method above), seal them and leave them to cool.
- This recipe makes around eight jars, but it all depends on the size of your jars! Leave your chutney for at least a couple of months to mature before opening.
Submitted by Emma R on August 31, 2011 12:07 pm10 Comments