Red Lentil, Tomato & Coconut Stew
This recipe makes enough for six servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 medium carrot, cubed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 300g red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock or water
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tin of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in medium size soup pot then add the onion and celery. Sauté for five minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and spices to the pan and sauté for a further two minutes.
- Next add carrot, sweet potato, lentils, water, stock and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the coconut milk, salt, pepper and lime. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the stew garnished with fresh coriander.
This recipe comes from Head Chef Erin at Woodruffs Organic Café in Stroud, Gloucestershire. It’s an excellent place for lunch, and 100% organic to boot!