Here is a delicious vegan recipe for persian style bean & noodle soup recipe, kindly provided by Steve Dent Recipe AKA ‘The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen’
Ingredients for persian style bean & noodle soup
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g organic spinach
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can organic haricot beans, rinsed and drained
- 150 g organic green lentil, washed and drained
- 200 g organic vegan linguini
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 15 g fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 10 g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 10 g fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- juice of a lemon
- 15 ml extra virgin olive oil
for the crispy onions
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 10 ml sunflower oil
Method for preparing the persian style bean & noodle soup:
- First prepare the crispy onions that will be served with the soup. Pour the sunflower oil into a pan and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-10 minutes or until the onion is soft and beginning to brown. Reduce the heat too low and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the onions have become crispy and darker in colour. Remove from the heat and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
- For the soup, pour the olive oil into a large pot which has a lid. As soon as the oil is hot, add the thinly sliced onion and leek. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until the onion is soft and translucent and the leek is tender. Add the garlic and the turmeric, continuing to stir for another two minutes before adding the green lentils and then the stock. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Place a lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender.
- Remove the lid from the pot. Stir in the drained chickpeas and haricot beans, followed by the sea salt and spinach. Stir in most of the chopped coriander, parsley and dill, reserving a tablespoonful for garnish . Bring to a gentle simmer, replace the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Next, add the linguine and the dried mint. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 12-15 minutes or until the linguine is just cooked. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Carefully drizzle a spoonful of coconut yoghurt on to the top of the soup and then sprinkle with the fried onions and the reserved chopped herbs. Serve immediately.