Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Another keen baking member, Andy Reynolds sent us this in – a cupcake with a zesty difference!
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- zest 2 lemons, plus 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- Heat oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Beat 100g of the sugar and all the butter until pale, then add eggs (Whole ones), beating in well each time. Stir in the zest and a squeeze of lemon juice, then fold in flour until the batter is a smooth consistency. If it’s a bit stiff, just add a bit more lemon juice
- Line a 12-hole bun tin with cake cases and put 2 large tablespoons of mix in each. Smooth then make a little dip in the centre. Bake for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites into a bowl, whisk until peaks form, then whisk in the rest of the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Keep whisking until the mixture looks glossy and has thickened a little.
Take the cakes out of the oven, cut a small cone from the top (Like with a fairy cake), and spoon 1 teaspoon of lemon curd into each dip. Finally, top with the meringue foam. Return to the oven for 10-15 mins until the cakes are cooked through and meringue lightly browned. Leave to cool fully and enjoy!