Kale & Butter Bean Fritters
- 2 x 400 g cans organic butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 100 g kale, chopped and tough stems removed
- 40 g vegan or vegetarian Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- leaves from a sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g brown rice flour
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a frying pan and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Reduce the heat and add the garlic and rosemary. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chopped kale. Cook and stir for a further five minutes then remove from the heat and set to one side.
- Put two thirds of the butter beans in a mixing bowl and mash them to break them up. Add the remaining butter beans, the Parmesan, salt and the kale mixture. Mix to combine.
- Put the rice flour in a separate bowl. Divide the butter bean mixture into eight and shape into fritters. Place each fritter in turn in the rice flour and roll gently to coat with the flour. Dust off any excess.
- Any fritters you don’t intend to use now can be frozen at this stage. For the rest, pour the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a clean frying pan and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot carefully add the fritters and fry for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Serve hot, accompanied by a green salad.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen