Harissa Roasted Vegetables with Pearl Couscous, Feta & Pumpkin Seeds
Try this easy-to-make recipe packed with rich delicious flavours, made especially for us by Steve Dent from the Circus Gardener. Steve uses products from our extensive range of organic and ethically sourced products and creates inspiring and accessible recipes we love to share with you.
This dish is inspired by the cuisines of North Africa and the Middle East. Steve explains, “Pearl couscous, also known as ptitim or Israeli couscous, is widely available. It is larger than regular couscous, and retains its shape and texture better. For a vegan version of this dish, either substitute a vegan feta or omit the feta altogether.”
for the couscous
- 400g pearl couscous
- ½tsp sea salt
- 75g pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry pan
- 75g sultanas
- 20g fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 20g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- juice of a lemon
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 aubergines, chopped into 2-3cm chunks
- 3 courgettes , chopped into 2-3cm chunks
- 2 red peppers, , chopped into 2-3cm chunks
- 2 red onions, chopped into 2-3cm chunks
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 16 kalamata olives
- 95g jar rose harissa paste
- 45 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g organic feta cheese, crumbled or finely chopped (substitute vegan feta for vegan version)
- 30 g pumpkin seeds, toasted in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes, until they start to split
for the rest
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Whisk together the rose harissa and the olive oil. Place the chopped aubergines, courgettes, peppers and red onion in one or two large baking trays. Add most of the oil and harissa mixture, reserving about two tablespoonsful. Toss the vegetables in the oil and harissa mixture then place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and add the tomatoes and olives. Stir to combine, then place back in the oven for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and beginning to colour. Remove from the oven.
- While the vegetables are roasting, place the couscous in a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the couscous is just tender, which will take about 10-12 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Place in a bowl and add the sea salt, toasted pine nuts, raisins, chopped mint, chopped parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Stir to combine and then set the bowl to one side.
- To serve, divide the couscous between three plates. Place the roasted vegetables on top then sprinkle with the feta and toasted pumpkin seeds. Finally drizzle over a little of the reserved harissa and oil mixture.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen