Feta and courgette bake with bulgar
Bulgar is man’s oldest recorded use of wheat. It is made by soaking and cooking the whole wheat kernel, drying it, removing part of the bran and then cracking the remaining kernel into small pieces. Originating in the Middle East it has become a staple worldwide, being an excellent source of fibre, minerals and vitamins.
It is very versatile and can be used in salads, soups, pilafs, as stuffing or as a rice alternative.
This recipe can be easily adapted to suit what’s available. Try swapping the courgette for broccoli or cauliflower (or even a combination of the two). If there’s no cottage cheese available I frequently use a mixture of crumbled plain tofu and creme fraiche.
- 200g (6oz) Suma Organic Bulgar Wheat (QS300)
- 1/2 pint boiling water
- 2 tbsp Suma Organic Tomato Puree (LJ088)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 1/2 tbsps Suma Sunflower Oil (GT080)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Suma Organic Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Suma Organic Basil (HE365)
- 1/2 tsp Suma Marjoram (HE146)
- 1 tbsp Suma Organic Parsley (HE387)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 250g (8oz) grated feta
- 250g (8oz) cottage cheese
- 250g (8oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsps Suma Organic Sesame Seeds (NU213) (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°F/350°C/Gas mark 4
- Pour boiling water over the bulgar, cover and leave to stand for an hour or so. Then add the tamari and tomato puree.
- Meanwhile sauté the onions and garlic in oil until they are translucent. Add the courgettes, dried herbs and black pepper. Continue to saute over low heat until courgettes are just tender – do not be tempted to overcook.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, feta and cottage cheese.
- Oil a 9 x 9-inch casserole dish. Layer first the bulgar mix then the veg and then the feta mixture. Top with cheddar cheese and cover with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with a thin layer of sesame seeds.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove cover after 30 minutes for a crispier topping. Leave to rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe, using Suma organic bulgar wheat is from the Suma cookbook (BK028)