This risotto is as pleasing to the eye as is it to the palate. It includes an abundance of nutritious vegetables, health boosting coconut oil along with satisfying risotto rice. It makes a tasty supper and any leftovers can be served cold as a quick lunch. Though you need to stand and stir the ingredients to ensure they don’t stick, you’ll find this is quite therapeutic and engaging. There’s a certain fascination in watching the dish come to life as the coconut oil softens the vegetables, enhancing their flavours and the rice swells, absorbing the stock.
Extra virgin coconut oil is a replacement for other oils and butter in all types of cooking, with any recipe easily adapted.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time 55 minutes
Allergy information: gluten and lactose free; vegan and vegetarian
For the Risotto
- 200g butternut squash cut into small cubes
- 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 3 tbsp Suma Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 180g risotto rice
- 1 ½ pints of vegetable stock
- 150g mushrooms sliced
- 100g peas
- 1 handful sage leaves chopped plus extra to garnish
- Pinch Himalayan salt
To make the Risotto
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a roasting dish then add the butternut squash and red pepper. Toss until coated then bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the remaining coconut oil, until soft.
- Add the rice, stir over a medium heat until the rice becomes transparent then add one ladleful of stock at a time allowing the rice to absorb it. After three ladles of stock, add the butternut squash, pepper, chopped sage leaves and mushrooms.
- Continue to stir and add the stock a ladleful at a time. When you have 2 ladles of stock left, add the peas. Stir continuously until the peas are cooked and the stock absorbed.
- Season with salt and serve.
This recipe was provided to us by one of our fabulous suppliers, Lucy Bee.