Chocolate Chip Lemon Cake
Our final recipe of celebrating National Cake Week is this light, fluffy Chocolate Chip Lemon Cake – perfect with a good brew and relaxing after a hard week’s work!
- 2 cups of plain flour + a bit extra to dust the baking tin
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 cup of soya or other non dairy milk
- 1/2 cup of sunflower oil
- finely grated zest of an unwaxed lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 100g bag or 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Vegan margarine for greasing the pan
Prepare your baking pan (I used an 8 x 8 inch brownie pan) by greasing with vegan margarine and then dusting this with a little flour.
Sieve together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and sugar and stir well.
Add the milk, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon extract and stir until all the flour mixture is combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour into the baking tin and bake for around 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a cooling rack before releasing from the baking pan.
Kindly donated by Caroline Turner ofn facebook – via her foodie blog: Cake Liberation Front