Oregano is one of the first herbs to burst into life during early Spring. Here it is paired with garlic and cannellini beans to create a quick and delicious treat.
It makes a lovely Mediterranean-style accompaniment, and it is also lovely as it is with a slice or two of garlicky crostini: as an ‘upmarket version of beans on toast
- two 400 g tins organic cannellini beans
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- Juice of a lemon
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Method for cooking
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans.
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan and place over a medium heat. Add the garlic and lower the temperature. Cook, for 2 minutes, stirring to make sure the garlic does not catch.
- Add the dried oregano, sea salt and the beans and stir for a minute, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring every so often, then reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes, continuing to stir every so often. The stock will have reduced by this time. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Stir in the fresh oregano and lemon juice before serving.
Check out some more Suma recipes over here
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen