Broccoli, almond and buckwheat noodle salad recipe
Ingredients for the buckwheat noodle salad
- 300 g buckwheat noodles
- 300 g sprouting broccoli, sliced in half lengthways along the stem
- 50 g blanched almonds
- 6 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 10 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
Ingredients for the salad dressing
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer leaves removed and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 40 g white miso paste
- 30 ml toasted sesame oil
- 30 ml groundnut oil
- juice of a lime
How to make the buckwheat noodle salad:
- Roughly slice the almonds. Place a dry frying pan over a medium to high heat and add the almonds. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until the almonds are beginning to colour. Remove from the heat and tip the almonds out onto a cold plate or bowl.
- For the dressing, place the ginger, lemongrass, garlic, sesame oil, groundnut oil, lime juice and miso paste in a food processor and blend into a smooth consistency.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the buckwheat noodles and stir. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Drain the noodles and refresh under hold water. Drain, then toss in the tablespoon of sesame oil. Set to one side.
- While the noodles are cooking, steam the broccoli for 2-3 minutes, until just tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water to stop the cooking process and then drain again.
- To assemble the salad, Place the noodles in a large bowl. Add the broccoli, half of the toasted almonds, half of the spring onions and all of the chopped coriander. Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl and toss to combine fully. Divide the salad between four bowls or plates. Scatter over the reserved almonds and spring onions.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen
Check out some more Suma recipes over here