Pumpkin Seed Cranberry & Nut Tartlets
For the pastry
- 150 g plain organic flour
- 75 g organic butter, cut into small cubes (use 75 g melted coconut butter for vegan version)
- 1 free range organic egg
- pinch sea salt
For the filling
- 60 g pecan kernels, broken into smaller pieces
- 60 g hazelnut kernels
- 40 g pistachio kernels
- 30 g dried pumpkin seeds
- 30 g pine nut kernels
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 75 g organic butter (or 75 g coconut butter for vegan version)
- 75 g organic almond butter
- 40 g fresh dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 30 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic vanilla essence
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F, gas mark 5).
- For the pastry, place the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of a food mixer and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process again until you have a pliable dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place the hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds on a shallow baking tray and spread them out thinly. Place in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, or until the nuts and seeds are lightly toasted. Keep checking to make sure they don’t burn, and give the baking tray a shake each time to toast the nuts and seeds evenly. Remove from the oven and tip into a cold bowl. Leave to cool.
- Grease six individual flan tins. Retrieve the pastry from the fridge and roll it out to a thickness of about 3mm. Line each tin carefully with the pastry and trim it to leave an overhang of about 1 cm. (Any unused pastry can be frozen at this stage for use in the future). Prick the base and sides with a fork and line the pastry in each flan tin with baking parchment and baking stones, rice or beans. Bake blind in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly and then remove the parchment and baking stones. The edges of each tart will have shrunk slightly, but now you can trim them neatly to the height of the flan dishes with a sharp knife.
- Place the almond butter, butter, maple syrup, vanilla essence, dates and sea salt in a pan over a low heat. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for a further two minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat and add the cranberries and the toasted nuts and pumpkin seeds to the pan and stir, making sure all the nuts, seeds and cranberries come into contact with the caramel mixture. Carefully distribute this mixture between the six tart pastry cases. Leave to cool then place in the fridge until set. To eat the tartlets warm, place them back in a moderate oven for 3-4 minutes.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen