Vegan Chocolate Cookie Cupcakes
Emma C treated us to these vegan-friendly cupcakes in the Suma canteen, in honour of National Cupcake Week! This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a muffin or cupcake tin with cupcake cases. Whisk together the soya milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
2. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soya milk mixture and beat until foamy.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
4. Put your biscuits into a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin until you have lots of small biscuit pieces. Alternatively you could whizz the biscuits in a blender for a few seconds. Stir the biscuit pieces into your cake mixture.
5. Pour your mixture into the cases, filling them 3/4 of the way. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
6. To make the icing, beat the margarine until it becomes soft and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat for about 3 minutes more.
7. Add the vanilla and soya milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes.
8. The buttercream is now ready to pipe or smooth on to the top of your cakes. Crumble over the remaining chocolate biscuits for a nice finishing touch.