This year, Bristol-based co-operative Essential Trading celebrates fifty years as a wholesaler. They’ve been manufacturing and distributing sustainable wholefoods, ecological household products and cruelty-free body care items since 1971. We’ve worked with Essential throughout both our co-ops histories, knowing that we are stronger together. So it’s a privilege to be able to wish them a happy birthday.
We regularly use Essential’s Organic Pineapple Chunks in our canteen in this pineapple upside-down cake – it’s a firm favourite with the folks at Suma HQ. The recipe makes two large baking trays, feeding roughly seventy people.
- Essential Trading Pineapple Chunks In organic Juice – 6 x 400g (KJ262), 1 and 1/2 cases
- Naturli’ Catering Vegan Butter Block – 2 x 5kg (CV648)
- Suma Sunflower Spread – 6 x 2kg (MA051)
- Suma Raw Cane Sugar – organic – 3 kg (LJ096)
- Suma Soft Brown Sugar – 3 kg (LJ097)
- Oggs Aquafaba Egg Alternative – 16 x 200ml (LJ082) 60 tablespoons
- Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Bean Extract – 6 x 100ml (LJ115)
- Lahde Baking Powder – 1 kg (HE225)
- Doves Farm White Self Raising Flour – 5 x 1kg (FG070)
- If You Care Parchment Paper Rolls – 12 x 1 rolls (NF021)
You can make this a gluten free cake by replacing the flour above for one of the following:
- Caramelised bit, Butter/Marg trays first, put pineapple in then melt butter/marg and brown sugar to taste and pour over Pineapple.
- Cake bit, Blend butter/marg (1.5kg) & caster Sugar (1.5kg) add 60 tablespoons of Aquafaba. Add 1.5 kg of self-raising flour. Add 2 teaspoons of baking powder, vanilla essence. Pour over Pineapple and sauce carefully and smooth out.
- Pop in oven 170 oven, 25 – 30 mins middle shelf.