This recipe first appeared in our Suma catalogue, back in 2005, and is now featured on our website due to popular demand. Rebecca Moffatt, one of Suma’s facebook followers, messaged us to ask for the recipe, because she remembered how delicious the cake tasted. Well we aim to please, and here it is, a mouthwatering vegan chocolate cake.
For the cake:
- 3 cups/390g plain unbleached white flour
- 2 cups/440g raw cane sugar (LJ251)
- 6 tablespoons Suma cocoa powder (LJ189)
- 2 tsp baking soda (HE299)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups/500ml soya milk
- 3/4 cup/187ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate icing
- 1 cup/220g raw raw cane sugar (LJ251)
- 6 tbsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp Suma cocoa powder (LJ189)
- 1/4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup/250ml soya milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 177 degrees. Mix dry ingredients first. Once the mixture is even, mix in wet ingredients. Continue mixing until you obtain an even batter (no lumps). Pour into a greased 9″/23cm cake pan and bake for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Mix the sugar, corn starch, salt and cocoa in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the soya milk. Heat over a medium heat until it gets thick and starts to boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the oil and vanilla. Cool and spread on cooled cake. This cake is shown to be topped with a Booja Booja vegan champagne truffle.