Nut roasts are healthy and thrifty and don’t take long to make. They are a classic vegetarian staple but are often perceived as a bit boring. This is my Italian nut roast recipe which is excellent with roasted Mediterranean vegetables, steamed veg or salad.
- 250g porridge oats
- 200g chopped mixed nuts
- 200g (half a tin) of cannellini or butter beans
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 medium egg
- 1tsp yeast extract
- 100g of your favourite pesto
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Gently fry the finely chopped onion and garlic until soft.
- Meanwhile, put the porridge oats into a bowl and cover with 1/2 pint of boiling water – leave to absorb water for 10 minutes. Then stir – you should quickly get a thick porridge – add a little extra boiling water if too dry and difficult to stir.
- Stir yeast extract and then egg into porridge mixture.
- Mash beans with a fork and add to porridge mixture with chopped nuts and onions. Finally stir in pesto sauce and cubed mozzarella.
- Turn the thick mixture into a well greased oven proof dish and bake in the middle of your oven at Gas mark 6 for 50 minutes. Allow to stand for at least 20 minutes before carving – nut roast gets firmer as it cools.
- All the taste of Italy – enjoy
Once you’ve started thinking about themes – the world’s your nut roast.
- chilli and ginger nut roast with water chestnuts
- madras and mango pickle nut roast with sweet potato
- chopped apricot and stilton nut roast
- sundried tomatoes, olive and chickpea nut roast
Share your recipes
Let us know what you think to this recipe and feel free to share your favourite nut roast recipes and ideas for variations here.