There is a little preparation time involved in this month’s recipe, but trust me it will pay dividends.
This method of preparing and cooking tofu encourages it to absorb lots of delicious flavour whilst taking on a pleasing, slightly chewy texture, all perfectly offset by the quickly stir-fried peppers and spring onion.
- 2 x 300 g blocks organic tofu
- 2 red peppers, cut into long strips
- 2 green pepper, cut into long strips
- 6 spring onions, white and green parts, sliced diagonally
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 10 g sesame seeds, toasted in a dry frying pan until slightly coloured
- 25 g cornflour
- 100 ml gluten free soy sauce
- 25 ml maple syrup
- 10 ml toasted sesame oil
- 10 ml toasted sesame oil
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Meanwhile, drain the blocks of tofu and wrap them in kitchen paper. Place between two chopping boards and place something weighty on top, such as a cookbook, to help squeeze out the excess moisture. Leave for 20 minutes, then unwrap the tofu from the kitchen paper. Use your hands to tear the tofu into 2-3 cm pieces. Breaking it up roughly rather than chopping it increases the surface area and help ensure the tofu crisps up. Place the cornflour in a bowl and add the torn tofu pieces. Toss them gently so that the tofu is lightly coated with the flour.
- In a large bowl, make a sauce by whisking together the garlic, chilli, ginger, soy sauce and maple syrup together with 80 ml fresh water. Set to one side.
- Place a wok over a high heat. Add groundnut oil to a depth of 2-3 cm. When the oil is shimmering, carefully add pieces of the coated tofu. You may need to cook them in two batches to avoid crowding the pan. Cook the tofu for 2-3 minutes, turning to ensure even cooking, or until light golden and crispy. Remove from the wok using a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper, then add carefully add the tofu pieces to the sauce, stirring gently to ensure they are all coated in the sauce.
- Clean the wok, place back on a high heat and add the 10 ml of groundnut oil and 10 ml of sesame oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the pepper strips and most of the sliced spring onions, keeping a few of the green parts back for garnish. Cook the peppers and onions for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously, until the peppers have softened and are beginning to catch. Add the crispy tofu and sauce to the wok and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately, with the jasmine rice. Scatter the sesame seeds and reserved spring onions across the top
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen