Makes 6 large patties (serves six as a starter or three as a main course)
This Fairtrade dish makes a great dinner party starter or a filling lunch. We cooked this in the Suma canteen and it was very well received. It uses simple ingredients like Fairtrade tinned beans combined with some fresh vegetables and herbs for punchy flavour combinations.
Suitable for vegans
For the bean patties
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (depending how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp ground ginger*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon*
- 1 tin of red kidney beans*
- 1 tin of Cannellini-beans*
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for frying
For the salsa
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 a jar (230g) Cypressa Roasted Red Peppers
- 4 spring onions
- The juice of a lemon
- The juice of half an orange
- A handful of fresh coriander
For the herb salad
* denotes a Fairtrade ingredient
- Fry the onion until soft, then add the garlic to the pan and fry for a further few minutes. Add the spices and tinned beans to the pan and mix to combine. Cook the beans for three or four minutes until heated through, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Season the bean mixture to taste then leave it to cool slightly. Spread the breadcrumbs out on a large plate for coating the patties.
- Divide the mixture into six pieces (or more if you want smaller patties) and shape them with your hands into round, flat burger shapes. Cover the patties in breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs onto the patties so they coat the surface.
- Heat a frying pan over a fairly high heat and pour in a generous coating of vegetable oil. Fry the patties one or two at a time for around four minutes each side, until they are browned and crisp, topping up the oil between batches if you need to. Leave the cooked patties to rest on kitchen towel, to soak up the excess cooking oil.
- To make the salsa chop the tomatoes, roasted peppers and spring onion into small pieces and put them into a bowl. Add the lemon and orange juice, then finish with the finely chopped coriander and seasoning to taste.
- For the salad, simply mix the salad leaves with your choice of fresh herbs, add enough olive oil and lemon juice to coat the leaves and toss to combine.
- Serve the patties with a generous helping of salsa and salad on the side.