Here’s a simple recipe for a delicious cake that uses a star ingredient – Suma Spicy Apple Granola from our new range of granola and mueslis. This cake is just perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon. It’s dairy-free, and you can easily make it gluten-free if you swap the flour for a gluten free option such as Doves (FG701).
- 200g Suma Spicy Apple Granola (MX215)
- 250g self-raising flour
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 250g Suma Organic Sunflower Spread (MA065)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 apple (tart varieties work well)
- Ground cinnamon and soft brown sugar, to finish
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Put the granola, flour, sugar and mixed spice in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Melt the margarine on the hob or in the microwave and add the lemon juice to it, then grate the apple into this margarine mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Tip the cake mixture into the tin and bake it for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the top comes out clean. Turn the cake out onto a tray and leave it to cool.
- Once cooled, top the cake with a sprinkling of sugar and ground cinnamon.