Home / Recipes / Spanakopita
Spanakotopita Greek Pie with couscous and pomegranate molasses
- 100g pine nuts
- 5 eggs
- 300g feta cheese
- 50g cheddar cheese
- 1 handful dried oregano
- 1 lemon
- Knob of butter
- 500g spinach fresh or frozen
- 270g filo pastry
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 white onion
Couscous and pomegranate molasses
- 200g giant couscous
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 80g shelled pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 pomegranate de-seeded
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper
- In a mixing bowl mix the eggs, feta, cheddar, zest of lemon, grated nutmeg, glug of olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until golden brown and add to the bowl with rest of mixture. Gently fry the onion in butter until soft and then add your garlic and spinach. Once the spinach has wilted, let it cool down before draining the mixture of any excess water then combine with the rest of the mix.
- Use ten sheets of filo pastry, five layers on the bottom, and five on the top. Add one sheet at a time, brushing with olive oil and season with a pinch of pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Repeat five times.
- Add the mix to the filo pastry, layering on a sheet of filo pastry at a time, remembering to brush and season each layer with oil olive, salt and pepper and cayenne pepper. Don’t forget to brush the top of the layer of pastry to guarantee a nice golden bake.
- Bake in the oven at 180oC (gas mark 4) for 30 mins until crisp and golden.
Couscous & Pomegranate Molasses
- In a pan of boiling water, boil the giant couscous for
6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, chop and lightly toast the pistachios in a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Chop the herbs and pick the seeds from the pomegranate. Drain and rinse the couscous to remove excess starch that may make it sticky. In a large bowl stir in the oil, molasses and salt and pepper until well coated. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and season. Serve at room temperature.