- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g can organic black eye beans
- 1 x 400 g can organic butter (lima) beans
- 1 x 400 g can organic red kidney beans
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 400 g tins organic chopped tomatoes with chilli
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse and drain the black eye, butter (lima) and red kidney beans.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3). Pour the olive oil into a large casserole dish that has a lid and place over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the diced carrots and celery along with the garlic. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the thyme, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, sea salt, bay leaves, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Mix to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat, leaving the lid off.
- After 20 minutes, the stock will have reduced. Stir in the beans, cover the pot and place in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve piping hot, accompanied by good quality crusty bread.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen