- 200 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 4 tbp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
- 160 g marinated tofu pieces
- 50 g fresh peas (use defrosted frozen peas if fresh are not available)
- 6 spring onion, white and green parts, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (keep seeds in for extra heat)
juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
toasted sesame oil, for frying
- Soak the noodles in hot water for about five minutes, or until they have softened. Drain and rinse under cold water. Toss with a tablespoon of sesame oil (this stops the noodles sticking together, as well as imparting flavour). Set to one side.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup and 2 tbsp of the sesame oil. Set to one side
- Place a wok over a high heat. Once it is hot, pour in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. After thirty seconds add the sliced onion (but not the spring onion) and stir-fry for two minutes.
- Next, add the mushrooms, pepper, spring onions peas, garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir fry vigorously for a further two minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn. Add the curry paste and quickly stir it through the other ingredients. Finally, add the tofu pieces, the noodles and the soy sauce mixture. Stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lime juice and chopped coriander and serve immediately.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen