Preheat the oven to 220°C/420°F/ Gas Mark 7.
Makes 4 large pasties
- 225g(8oz) plain or wholemeal flour
- 115g(4oz) Suma org sunflower margarine (MA110)
- pinch of salt
- water to mix
For the cheese & onion filling:
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- 1 large potato – finely chopped
- 100g(3 1/2oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Suma og dried herbs (HE380)
- 2 tsp bouillion powder
- salt and pepper
- a little water to combine
- Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then rub in the margarine until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Gradually add cold water, mixing to make a stiff dough. Don’t over-handle the pastry as this will make it tough.
- Put in a plastic bag and allow it to “rest” in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until 1/4 cm thick. Use a small plate to cut out circles of pastry. Place the filling in a line across the circle, then paint around edge with milk , pull the two sides together and pinch along the join with finger and thumb making sure pasty is well sealed.
- Bake in oven for 20 mins, or until pastry is golden brown.
This recipe is taken from the Suma Childrens Cookbook, the delightful cookbook features wonderful illustrations by Helen Bridge, a mum and a Suma worker. All of the recipes are designed to be simple enough for children to cook themselves with an adults supervision. Happy cooking!