Nut and Lentil Roast in Filo pastry
This Nut and lentil roast is a creation of Suma member Julie Knott, who is a regular cook in the Suma canteen. Her food is so good that I’ve been chasing her for a recipe to publish on our site for awhile now, and it looks like my efforts have paid off.
In her spare time Julie often provides catering services, and specialises in vegetarian food. She has even catered at a few Suma weddings! This recipe makes a great vegetarian Sunday lunch, and with Christmas approaching, perhaps you could add some chesnuts in to the mix to make it more festive? Let us know if you like this recipe and would like to try some more of Julie’s food!
- 200g Suma chopped mixed nuts (NU158)
- 50g Suma sunflower seeds (NU178, NU179, NU254, NU457, NU106)
- 50g Suma sesame seeds (NU099, NU177, NU213, NU356)
- 1 large Chopped onion
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 150g Suma puy lentils (PU133, PU167)
- Tamari – to taste
- 1 tin Suma chopped tomatoes (LJ080, LJ123)
- 1 tsp Suma mixed herbs (HE380, HE147, HE100)
- 1 tbs Yeast extract
- Black pepper – to taste
- 2 tbs Fresh parsley
- 60g Grated cheese
- 2 tbs Suma olive oil (GT017, GT018, GT084, GT085)
- 50g Butter
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- Cook the lentils in unsalted water.
- Fry the onions and garlic in olive oil and add to the cooked, drained lentils.
- Then add the nuts, seeds, tomatoes, herbs, yeast extract and cheese and mix well. Season to taste with tamari and black pepper.
- Line a buttered dish with 3 layers of filo pastry, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Put in the filling and top with another 3 layers of pastry, again brushing each layer with butter.
- Finish by tucking in the sides, buttering the top and sprinkling with sesame seeds.
- Bake until the top is crispy and golden brown, approx 30 mins at 180c.