No added Sugar Apple and Blackcurrant Jam
100% pure fruit jam with no added sugar
With late summer steadily approaching we can soon enjoy delicious summer fruits like blackcurrant and apples. If you’re not lucky enough to have blackcurrants in your garden, worry not as many blackcurrants grow wild, and it’s easy to to pick enough to make many pots of jam. My partners mum Hazel, (who is an expert jam-maker) always says it’s only worth making jam if you get a lot of fruit for free, or can pick it wildly, and as blackcurrants are so abundant this is the perfect use for them.
This recipe doesn’t use any sugar, but uses Suma Blackcurrant and Apple concentrate as a sugar substitute. It isn’t sugar free as it contains a lot of naturally occurring fruit sugars, but it is a different and unusual twist on regular jam using only 100% pure fruit.
Suma Apple and Blackcurrant concentrate makes for not only a delicious drink, but is also a great sugar substitute, and can be used creatively in many recipes when sugar or a sweetener is needed. For another example of using Suma Apple and Blackcurrant concentrate in cooking see our Vegan Breakfast Muffin Recipe.
- 3 Granny Smith or other firm, tart apples
- 250ml unsweetened apple juice concentrate or apple and blackcurrant concentrate(JU214, JU240)
- 1 lb/500g blackcurrants
- 2 sprigs of fresh bruised mint (optional)
- Peel, quarter and core the apples.
- Chop them coarsely and combine in a large saucepan with the apple and Blackcurrant concentrate.
- Bring juice to a boil.
- Turn heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the blackcurrants.
- Return the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pot.
- Turn heat up to medium high and reduce the liquids.
- Cook until a spoon drawn across the bottom of the pan causes a hissing sound. This will happen within 10 minutes.
- Remove jam from the heat.
- Crush the mint and add to the hot jam.
- Steep for 5 minutes or until the mint scant is noticeable.
- Remove mint and spoon the jam into hot, sterilized jars and screw clean caps on tightly.
- Process in a boiling water bath (with water covering the jars 1 inch over the tops) for 10 minutes.
- Makes 3 jars.