Healthy Vegan Breakfast Muffins
Packed full of healthy ingredients
These vegan muffins are great way to start the morning, and if made in advance are a quick and easy breakfast. They freeze well, so it’s a good idea to make a large batch at once. The whole wheat flour is a good source of fibre, and the banana is a great source of sustained energy. The added walnuts taste delicious with the banana, and also add a whole bunch of good stuff like omega 3 fatty acid, protein, and a wealth of nutrients.
Instead of sugar we have used Suma Apple and Blackcurrant concentrate, which contains only natural fruit sugars. Suma Apple and Blackcurrant concentrate is a great sugar substitute, and can be used creatively in many recipes when sugar or a sweetener is needed. For another example of using Suma Apple and Blackcurrant concentrate in cooking see our No Added Sugar Blackcurrant and Apple Jam Recipe.
- 225g whole wheat flour
- 100g cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp bircarbonate soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (HE370, HE139)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 240ml soya milk / oat milk / rice milk
- 60 ml or to taste Agave syrup
- 60 ml unsweetened apple juice concentrate or apple and blackcurrant concentrate (JU214, JU240)
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract)
- 60g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 40g chopped dates
- 40g chopped mixed dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C or gas mark 6.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin cases, or grease with some oil or vegan spread.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the walnuts, dates and dried mixed fruit.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl (or blend in food processor).
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Stir just until mixed, about 12 times should do it, the trick to a light fluffy muffin is to not over-stir the mixture.
- Spoon the batter equally into the prepared tin.
- Fill each cup nearly to the top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Cool muffins at least 10 minutes before removing from tins.
- Recipe makes 12 muffins.