Gluten-free Chocolate Coconut Torte with Mango Coulis
Our cooks made this dessert for a special Fairtrade Fortnight event we held at the start of March, and it went down a treat. Not only does this recipe make great use of Fairtrade ingredients but it’s also gluten-free thanks to the use of coconut flour instead of wheat flour.
Chocolate Coconut Torte
- 200g dark Fairtrade chocolate, such as Divine (ZX469)
- 75g Coconut Butter (GT013)
- 75g organic butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g Fairtrade soft brown sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 80g Coconut Flour
- Fairtrade cocoa powder, for dusting
For the mango coulis
- 1 large Fairtrade mango
- The juice of a lime
- About 2 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 21cm round cake tin.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put it in a heatproof bowl. Add both the butters, the vanilla extract and sugar.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water until the butter and chocolate are melted, then remove the bowl from the heat. Leave the mixture to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs then stir them into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the coconut flour.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin then smooth over the top with a spoon or spatula. Bake the torte for around 25 minutes, until the top is set but it still feels a bit gooey underneath.
- To make the coulis, peel and stone the mango then chop the fruit into small pieces. Put it in a small saucepan along with a splash of water and simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes. Add more water if the pan becomes dry.
- Tip the mango into a blender with the lime juice and icing sugar. The amount of sugar you need will depend on the sweetness of the mango, but the coulis needs to be quite tart to balance the sweetness of the torte. Blend until smooth then push the purée through a sieve. Add a little water if needed to get a nice consistency.
- Once cooked, leave the torte in the tin for 15 minutes to firm up then carefully turn it out onto a serving plate. Dust with cocoa power for a finishing touch.
- To serve, swirl some mango coulis on a plate then place a slice of torte on top. This dessert is even more delicious served with a scoop of Fairtrade ice cream.