Fusilli with roasted aubergine, goats cheese and parsley pesto
This is a delicious way to maximise the flavours of fresh, tasty ingredients. The recipe also works well with spaghetti or penne pasta and is great for a quick weeknight supper.
- 175g organic fusilli (WT075)
- 1 medium aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 50g goats cheese
- Pine nuts, to garnish (NU057)
For the parsley pesto:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts (NU057)
- 50g vegetarian parmesan, finely grated (CV143)
- 3 good glugs of olive oil (GT018)
- A clove of garlic, chopped finely
- A pinch of salt
- 2 handfuls of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- The juice of half a lemon
- Cut the onion in half, cut into slices and spread the slices out onto a baking tray. Cut the aubergine into cubes of about 2cm and add these to the baking tray. Pour on some oil and seasoning then toss the vegetables around to coat them. Roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees (gas mark 6) until browned.
- Meanwhile, bring the pasta to the boil then simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- To make the pesto put the pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil, garlic and salt into a pestle and mortar and grind them up to make a paste. Add the parsley and lemon juice and bash them around some more until they are well combined. Or if you prefer, put all the ingredients in a food processor and whiz them up for a few seconds.
- Drain the cooked pasta and return it to the pan. Add your parsley pesto along with the goats cheese, roasted aubergine and onion and stir to combine.
- Serve the pasta garnished with pine nuts, accompanied by a salad or seasonal vegetables.