Focaccia with Pesto and Mozzarella
- 500g (1lb 4oz) Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 7g (1/4oz) Sachet of fast acting yeast
- 2 tblsp Suma Olive Oil (GT018), plus some for drizzling
- 125g (5oz) Ball Mozzarella
- 5 tblsp Suma Pesto Alla Siciliana (KJ160) or your own handmade pesto!
- Sea Salt (optional)
- Put the flour into a large bowl and mix in the salt. Mix the yeast into 325 ml tepid water. Add the water and oil to the flour, then mix well with your hands. Incorporate all the liquid and bring together into a ball of dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a work top, lightly dusted with flour and knead for at least 10 mins. Put the ball of worked dough into a well oiled bowl, cover with a little more oil and a tea towel, or cling film. Leave to rest for an hour or so in a warm draught free spot, until double the size.
- Now stretch the dough out onto an oiled baking tin until it’s about 20 x 30 cm. Leave the dough to rise again in the warm, about 30-40 mins, covered loosely with a tea towel.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mk 4). When the dough has risen, press your fingers into it gently to make some holes. Bake for 15 mins, remove from the oven, then tear over the mozzarella, then bake for a further 5-10 mins until golden and cooked through. Drizzle over the pesto and scatter with sea salt.
This recipe is from the Suma cook book (BK082)