Oaty Florentines Crunchy and Chocolatey
Made with loving care, these florentines are simply exquisite. One of the tastiest recipes we’ve tried, these treats are good enough to be presented as a gift. The ingredients can be personalised to make the recipe your own; add fruits and nuts to suit your taste.
Will keep for a week in an airtight container
- 180g crunchy oat cereal/ granola crushed with rolling pin if needed
- 85g dried fruit and/or nuts chopped
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 8-10 glace cherries chopped
- 4 tbsp double cream vegan: golden/maple syrup
- 200g chocolate vegan: dairy-free chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Melt the butter and sugar together in a saucepan on a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the double cream.
- Mix in the flour and stir until you have a smooth mixture. Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Add a little more cereal if the mixture seems too runny.
- Place small spoonfuls of the mixture on greaseproof/ parchment paper on a baking tray. Space well apart
(5 or 6 per tray) to give them room to spread. Bake for 7-8 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Using a palette knife, gently neaten up the shape of the Florentines, by pushing the edges in a little, to make them round. Return to the oven for a further 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to harden for about 5 minutes, before removing from the tray and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- When cold, melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl oven a pan of boiling water. Spread a teaspoonful of melted chocolate onto the back of each Florentine and allow to set for around 10 minutes. Before it has completely set, make wavy lines in the chocolate using the back of a fork.