You’ll love the delicious creamy taste of this drink made with real Fairtrade chocolate chunks. Hot chocolate is really versatile too, so we’ve offered a range of ways to adapt it to your taste.
- For 2 big mugs
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk or non dairy milk if making vegan
- 100g Fairtrade dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp (or to taste) Fairtrade granulated sugar
- A small cinnamon stick
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- Chop the chocolate up into very small pieces, or whizz it in a blender. Pour the milk into a small pan and add the cinnamon stick. Heat the milk until just boiling then remove it from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until it dissolves. Add the sugar then whisk the mixture vigorously until it becomes frothy on the top.
- This chocolate is delicious as it is but you can also jazz it up in lots of different ways. Try out the suggestions below or invent your own variation!
- Add half a red chilli to the pan to infuse while you heat the milk for a South American-style spice kick
- For bonus Fairtrade points and a smooth finish, add a drop or two of Fairtrade vanilla extract
- Booze it up with a dash of Fairtrade rum
- For a thicker hot chocolate make a paste with a teaspoon of corn flour and a small amount of cold water, and stir this into the milk before heating
- Veganize using vegan Fairtrade chocolate and replacing the milk with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze
- Dress to impress with some mini marshmallows and squirty cream