Croquettes with potato, Chive and Cheddar accompanied by Apple Chutney
Croquettes with potato, Chive and Cheddar, matched perfectly by spicy apple chutney. The chutney will keep for several weeks.
Ingredients for the Croquettes
- 800g potatoes, peeled
- 100 g vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
- 20 g fresh chives, finely chopped
- free range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 75 g organic polenta
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the Chutney
- 2 organic apples, around 250 g
- 40 g sultanas
- 125ml of cider vinegar
- 50g coconut sugar
- 1 green chilli, seeds in, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Method to prepare the Croquettes:
- For the apple chutney, peel and core the apples and cut into roughly 1 cm cubes. Transfer the chopped apple to a saucepan and add the sultanas, cider vinegar, coconut sugar, chillies, garlic, ginger, turmeric, mustard seeds, star anise, allspice and sea salt. Place over a medium heat and bring to the point of boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for one hour or until the mixture is dark and thick. Carefully remove the star anise before pourIng into a sterilized jar. Leave the chutney to cool before sealing the jar.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and leave them to cool for 10 minutes, then either mash or push through a potato ricer. Place the mashed potato in a large bowl. Add the grated Cheddar, chopped chives, sea salt and the beaten egg and mix to combine.
- Tip the polenta grains onto a shallow tray or plate. Divide the potato mixture into eight roughly equal portions, each weighing around 85 grams. Roll each of these into a squat cylinder shape. Taking the first cylinder, roll it gently in the polenta until lightly coated all over. Place the coated croquette onto a clean baking tray. Repeat this process until all eight croquettes are completed.
- Pour the olive oil into a frying pan or skillet and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot carefully add the croquettes. You will need to cook them in two or three batches, depending on the size of your pan. Cook the croquettes for 5-6 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown and crispy all over. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the chutney and some mixed salad leaves.
Recipe & photo from Steve Dent AKA The Circus Gardener’s Kitchen