Dairy Free Chocolate Cake with pistachio and raspberry topping
Popular with vegans and non-vegans alike, this chocolate cake recipe from Suma member Becs produces a lovely textured cake without the “oily” consistency found in some vegan cakes. The added flavour from the bananas along with the gorgeous pistachio and raspberry topping make this cake an all-round winner.
- 225g self raising flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3 bananas fairly ripe
- 150ml soya milk
- 200g caster sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla essence
- 120g sunflower spread dairy free
For the filling
- 175g sunflower spread dairy free
- 120g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 150g raspberry preserve
For the topping
- 25g pistachio nuts
- fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C (gas mark 4), and grease two 18cm (7 inch) cake tins. Cut out two circles of parchment paper to fit in the base and place one in each tin. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- In a blender, mix the bananas, soya milk, sugar and vanilla essence together.
- Melt the margarine and pour it into the dry ingredients, followed by the banana mixture. Stir thoroughly until combined.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into each tin. Place in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes. Test with a sharp knife or cocktail stick, it should come out clean. If not pop back in for another 5-10 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the cream filling by putting the sunflower spread, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and creaming it with a fork until you have the desired consistency.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and place the tins
on wire racks to cool. Once they have cooled you can turn the cakes out and allow them to air slightly before assembling them.
- Spread a layer (thick or thin depending on your own preference) of the raspberry preserve on top of the bottom cake then cover with 2/3 of the icing mix. Put the other cake on top and spread the rest of the icing mixture across the top.
- Finally, in a small food processor grind the pistachios, sprinkle them on top of the icing and decorate with sliced fresh raspberries.