You won’t be sorry you traded in your usual veggie chilli ingredients for rich and flavoursome beetroot. Warming and hearty, it’s perfect with basmati rice and sliced avocado. Whizz up any leftovers to make a luscious crimson soup.
- 250g Suma black turtle beans, soaked for at least two hours.
- 2 medium unpeeled beetroots, wash, discard top and bottom
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, finely sliced; mix of red & white
- 1 tsp Suma chilli flakes
- 50g dark chocolate, grated
- 1 tbsp Suma ground cumin
- 1 tsp Suma dried oregano
- 1 tsp Suma ground coriander
- 400g tin Suma
- 1-2 pints Suma vegetable bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and add the washed and drained black beans, along with the beetroot and simmer until tender. Drain, reserving the black liquid, and set aside. When the beetroot is cool, peel off the skin and chop into small cubes, set aside.
- In a wide saucepan, heat the oil on a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until the onions become soft. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook until fragrant, then stir in the chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook until the tomatoes begin to break up.
- Stir in the beetroot and cook for 10 minutes, before stirring in the black beans, along with 1 pint of reserved black liquid. Simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes or until the beans are tender, top up with additional liquid if necessary. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.