Habas Rose Con Queso (Cheesy Beans) with tomatoes and peppers
This delicious dish full of vegetables and creamy goodness is a gentle twist on a traditional chilli and comes out a beautiful hue of pink – perfect for cheering you up during the darker months. Serve this tasty one pot dish with plain rice, tortilla chips and tomato wedges for a hearty meal.
- 800g tin borlotti beans
- 225g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sunfower oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 red peppers chopped
- 2 carrot diced
- 800g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1⁄2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp spanish paprika
- Salt to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley to serve
- Heat the borlotti beans in a large saucepan and drain. Return the beans to the saucepan and stir in the cream, mix well ensure all the cream cheese is melted. Cover and set aside. Saute the onions in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots & peppers to the pan, cover and gently cook for 15 minutes, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Now add the tomatoes and spices, stir well and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Stir the sauteed vegetables into the bean mixture and serve. Alternatively pour the mixture into a well-oiled casserole dish and bake at 200C (gas mark 6) for 25 minutes for a slightly firmer casserole.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with chopped parsley.