Home / Recipes / Chard, Broccoli and Chickpea Broth with Basil and Pine nuts
Chard, Broccoli and Chickpea Broth with Basil and Pine nuts
- 350 g purple sprouting broccoli, including leaves
- 150 chard (I used rainbow chard)
- 400 g can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
for the basil oil
- 20 g basil leaves
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 40 g pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
- 30 g vegan or vegetarian Parmesan, grated (optional)
- For the basil oil, place the basil and olive oil in a pestle and mortar or a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. Set to one side.
- Strip the chard and broccoli leaves from their stems and shred. Remove the florets from the broccoli stems. Chop the chard and broccoli stems into roughly 1 cm pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan that has a lid over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced garlic and the chilli flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, ensuring the garlic does not burn. Add the chard and broccoli stems. Reduce the heat a little and cook gently, stirring every so often, for around 25 minutes or until the stems are starting to become tender. Stir in the shredded leaves and the broccoli florets. After two minutes, add the chickpeas, sea salt and vegetable stock. Increase the heat to bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. Place the lid on the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring every so often, or until the green is just tender.
- To serve, divide the broth between four bowls. Add a swirl of basil oil. Top with Parmesan, if using, and scatter over some toasted pine nuts.