Tasty savoury cakes packed with lentils, carrots, spinach and herbs. Vegan, gluten free and full of protein. They make an excellent starter or main.
- 400g of peeled and roughly diced carrots (4-5 large carrots)
- 400g can of Suma organic brown lentils (VF073)
- 130g Suma organic porridge oats (FX048)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Suma lemon juice (JU245)
- 2 tbsp Suma Italian organic olive oil (VF017)
- 1 tsp Suma smoked paprika (HE034)
- 1 tsp Suma ground cumin (HE143)
- 1/4 tsp Suma Cayenne pepper (HE168)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 50g spinach, chopped
- 60g Suma pumpkin seeds (NU094)
- 20g fresh chives, chopped
- 30g fresh coriander, chopped
For the garlic and herb dip
- 60g non-dairy yoghurt
- 60g vegan mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Suma lemon juice (JU245)
- 20g finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley/coriander/chives)
- Preheat the oven to 200F (180F fan oven)
- Boil or steam the chopped carrots until tender.
- Strain and rinse the can of lentils.
- Add the carrots, lentils, half the oats, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cumin, and cayenne to a food processor. Blend on pulse until the mixture is chunky but well mixed—season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining oats, chopped spinach, pumpkin seeds and coriander. Mix well with a spoon. Your mix should be damp but able to hold its shape.
- Form the cakes using a 1/3 cup measure or a similar-sized baking ring. Pack the mix in tightly until the cup is full, and then turn out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The mixture should make 10-12 cakes.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet; this will allow them to set.
- Mix all the dip ingredients together and serve.