- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 can cannellini beans
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves, ripped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 250-300g thin asparagus shoots Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Defrost the pastry.
- When thawed, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Mash the beans.
- In a mortar and pestle, pulverise the basil, garlic, water, salt and lemon juice. Check for taste. Mix with the beans.
- Roll the puff pastry. Place on baking paper or lightly oil a tray.
- Spread the bean mixture across the pastry.
- Cut or snap the hard ends off the asparagus, and then lay them onto the bean mix. Alternate the asparagus so that the spears face a different direction each time.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with a colourful salad.
This recipe is taken from the Mystic Cookfire cookbook by Veronika Robinson.