Home » Baking, Desserts and Puddings, Recipes
White Balsamic Custard Tart with Fresh Berry Topping
For the Crust :
- 150g all plain flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 100g chilled unsalted butter
- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
For the Filling:
- 120ml whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml white balsamic vinegar
- 180ml water
- 175g sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
For the Topping:
- 2 large strawberries, sliced
- 200g blueberries
- 125g raspberries
- For crust
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Then add the butter and rub into a coarse mixture.
- Add egg yolk and cream.
- Mix again until moist clumps form.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Press dough evenly into 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Pierce dough all over with fork.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, 190°C, gas mark 5.
- Bake crust until golden, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 22 minutes.
- For filling:
- Stir cream and cornstarch in medium bowl until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Whisk to blend.
- Boil vinegar in heavy medium saucepan until reduced, (3 minutes).
- Add water, sugar, and butter.
- Stir until butter melts, return to boil.
- Gradually whisk vinegar mixture into egg mixture, return to pan.
- Whisk until custard thickens and boils (1 minute).
- Strain into bowl and cool.
- Spread custard in prepared crust.
- Cover and chill tart at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- For topping:
- Arrange strawberry slices in star pattern in center of tart.
- Arrange raspberries in star pattern. Surround with blueberries.
- Cover loosely and chill until ready to serve. (Can be made up to 6 hours ahead.)
Submitted by admin on November 17, 2009 6:19 pm2 Comments