Suma Spicy Winter Vegetarian Bean Soup Recipe
This is a warming, chunky soup full of wonderful aromas. You can easily bulk it out with some diced courgettes and aubergines if they are hanging around in your fridge.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Suma Olive Oil and some extra for serving – GT018
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 tins Suma Chopped tomatoes – LJ080
- 1 tin Suma Aduki Fairly traded beans – VF730
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Powder – HE371
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric – HE394
- 1 teaspoon Paprika – HE386
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon – HE166
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper ground – HE163
- 1 heaped teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion. Gently cook the onion for 15 minutes until translucent and the sugars in the onion have been released. Add the carrots, cook for a further 5 minutes and then add the red pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Now put all the spices into the pan, gently cook for one minute before adding the tomatoes and stock powder. Cover with a lid and cook gently for a further 15 – 20 minutes. Add the drained beans and heat through for a few minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving, swirl a little more oil into each bowl, the aromas of the warming spices and oil together will conjure up a Moroccan evening in the Medina in Marrakesh.