National Cupcake Week 2014 – Day 1 – Mocha Cupcakes
To celebrate the ever-popular ‘cupcake’, to encourage baking at home, with family, sharing skills or to support your local bakery, we’ve been asking our readers to offer a delightful recipe for you to try at home. Here’s our first offering – Mocha Cupcakes, from The Vegan Cookie Fairy.
Makes 12 large
Prep time: 10 mins
Baking time: 25 mins
For the cakes:
150g self-raising flour
100g brown sugar
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
250ml soy milk
1 tbsp soya yogurt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 heaped tsp coffee granules mixed with a splash of hot water; or a shot of espresso
For the frosting:
250g vegan butter
750g confectioner’s sugar
3 tsp coffee extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Unless you’re using silicone cupcake moulds, line or grease 12 cupcake moulds.
2. Pour the milk into a bowl or cup and add the apple cider vinegar to it. Set aside to curdle while you get on with the recipe.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the extracts, coffee, curdled milk and soya yogurt. Bear it in mind that if you handle the batter too much, i.e. over-mix it, the batter will toughen and the cupcakes will turn out to be quite dense and heavy.
4. Pour into the greased cupcake tins and bake for 25 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Now prepare the frosting: combine all the ingredients with an electric beater (easier and quicker than beating by hand, not to mention less messy). Refrigerate until the cupcakes are cooled, then decorate the cupcakes using a piping bag. I like using a medium star-shaped nozzle to create elegant swirls.