Home » Gluten Free, Main Dishes, Members Blog, Recipes
Porcini Mushroom Risotto
Here is a real treat for you – a ridiculously creamy and delicious mushroom risotto, or ‘ridicolmente cremoso e delizioso risotto ai funghi’ as we say in Yorkshire. Welcome to comfort food at its finest. A word of warning, this dish is best served before sitting for a very long time on the comfiest sofa you can find.
- Before you start, rehydrate the mushrooms in 500ml boiling water for half an hour. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and rinse and chop. Retain the mushroom stock and add to the bouillion stock. Be careful to leave the last centimetre of mushroom stock in the jug, as it may be a little gritty.
- Heat the stock in a small saucepan.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter, add the onions, garlic and celery, and fry very slowly until the vegetables soften, then add the rice.
- Increase the heat, the rice will now begin to lightly fry, so keep stirring it. After a minute it will sizzle and look slightly translucent. Add the wine and keep stirring.
- Once the wine has been absorbed, add a ladle of hot stock and a pinch of salt.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook the rice slowly, stirring all the time. Keep adding stock by the ladle. Stir and simmer as the rice absorbs the stock.
- Carry on adding stock until the rice is soft but with a slight bite – you will need to taste it. Yum. I envy you.
- This should take 30 minutes or so.
- Add more seasoning if necessary, personally I see no need to go easy on the black pepper – it works so well with this dish.
- If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, keep adding little touches of boiling water.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and Parmesan. Stir well. Place a lid on the pan and allow to sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Lift the lid and sprinkle with lots of freshly chopped parsley and a few extra twists of black pepper and Parmesan style cheese.
- Serve as soon as possible as the rice will continue to cook in its own heat.
- Put up your feet. Eat and repeat!
- 600 ml bouillon stock
- 1 small knob of butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (GT018)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 25g flat leafed parsley, finely chopped
- 400 g Suma Arborio rice (QS090)
- 2 glasses dry white wine (RS101)
- 40g Porcini mushrooms soaked in 500ml of boling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Another knob of butter!
- 90 g Parmesan style cheese, freshly grated
- Serves 6