Fairtrade Peanut Butter and Jam Slices
These decadent slices make great use of Traidcraft Fairtrade Jam
and Suma Peanut Butter. Emma R baked these in the Suma canteen and warns they are a little bit time-consuming to make, but are well worth the effort!
Makes about 24 slices
1. Preheat your oven to 200ºc/ gas mark 6. For the pastry, cut the butter into little cubes and put it in a blender with the flour. Whizz until the mixture has the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add the sugar then mix briefly to combine, then add the egg yolk plus just enough water to bring it together into a dough and whizz again. Tip the mixture onto a clean work surface and knead briefly to bring it together, then wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate.
2. After the pastry has rested for half an hour, roll it out to cover the base of a large baking sheet (35x25cm), greased and lined, and trim the edges. Put the pastry in the oven to blind bake for 10-15 minutes, until just starting to brown, then set aside in the tray to cool.
3. To make the filling, combine all the ingredients except the jam in a bowl and beat until smooth. Spread the mixture over the cooled pastry base, then add a generous layer of jam on top.
4. To make the topping put all the remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands until you get a well-mixed, crumbly texture. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the jam layer then press it down gently with your hands. Bake for 25 minutes then leave the tray to cool completely.
5. Once cooled, slice the bake into fairly small pieces (it’s very rich) and it’s ready to serve.