Celebrate Real Nappy Week 2011
Real Nappy Week
Real nappy week is a yearly campaign designed to raise awareness about the benefits of using real nappies. If you are new to real nappies, Real Nappy week is a great time to learn about them, and attend one of the many local events that is being held over the week. Organisers of the campaign ‘Go Real’ are also running competitions, special offers, discounts and opportunities to try out Real Nappies, that you can find out about on the go real website. To take part in the week all you need to do is visit the Go Real website to find out what is going on.
They are also looking for advocates of real nappies to ‘share the secret’ about just how good real nappies really are! If you are interested in getting involved and helping encourage others to give them a go there are ways you can contribute either by sharing your stories on the go real website or facebook page, or by organising an event in your local area, like a quick presentation, coffee morning or a baby fashion show!
If we all persuaded just one person to give them a go, Real Nappy use would double and save an additional 53,471 tonnes of disposable nappy waste from going to landfill and a whopping £8million of tax payers money!
Reasons to use real nappies
- Save money – It is estimated that by the time your baby is potty trained, they will have used as many as 4000 nappies! Kitting out your baby in reusable nappies may take an initial investment, but over time you’ll see savings of about £500! Some local councils also offer reusable nappy incentive schemes, which provide funding to help towards the cost of starting out. For example, my local council, Leeds city council offers £30 cash back when you spend £50 on any real nappy kit. To find out more about incentive schemes in your area use the Nappy Finder Tool on the real nappy website.
- Better for the environment – Using real nappies puts you in control of the volume of household waste your produce. Over 3 billion disposable nappies are thrown away each and every year in the UK, and 90% of these end up in landfill. A baby in disposables will need about 4,000 nappy changes in total, that’s 4,000 disposable nappies in a landfill site, or 24 Real Nappies hanging on your washing line!
- Easy to use – Real nappies have changed significantly since the terry toweling, safety pin combination used in days gone by. Today you can buy a range of shaped nappies in different colours and absorbent fabrics which fasten using Velcro or popper fasteners. They are easy to put on, and use liners to catch the solid waste which can then be flushed down the toilet. Much more hygienic than using a bin.
- Fun and funky colours – Fashion fit for the catwalk, or is that cat-crawl? There are nappies available in a rainbow of colours and a variety of different patterns including flags, flames, skull & crossbones, hearts, paw prints, under the sea, and leopard print! You can even have your own bespoke nappies made to match any outfit.
- Comfortable to wear – There is a myth that using Real Nappies can increase the likelihood of nappy rash – this really isn’t true! In fact, an independent study showed that the type of nappy worn made no difference to the incidence of nappy rash. By using Real Nappies you have much more control over what is next to your baby’s skin which can actually help to prevent nappy rash. Nappies come in a range of materials all designed to be kind to your babies skin, including cotton, hemp, microfibre and bamboo.
Buy Reusable Nappies
At Suma we supply the Bambino Mio range of 100% cotton reusable, washable nappies, which are a great environmentally friendly alternative to disposables.
You can have a look at our range of bambino mio nappies here or visit the bambino mio website for more information about their products.
There are many other options and brands out there, and the Go Real website has more information on different real nappy brands.
Buy eco-friendly biodegradable nappies
Some parents may also be interested in trying eco-friendly biodegradable nappies. Eco nappies are great for parents looking for nappies that use more sustainable source materials or less chemicals. At Suma we also supply a range of nappies from Moltex Öko, who offer eco-friendly disposable nappies, made from more than 50% biodegradable materials. You can have a look at our range of Moltex Öko nappies here or visit the Moltex Öko website for more information about their products.
Another range new to Suma for May June is the Beamin Baby range of disposable nappies. You can have a look at our range Beamin Baby nappies here or visit the Beamin Baby website for more information about their products.
You may also be interested to view our entire range of babycare products here, including great ranges from Weleda, Earth Friendly Baby, and Bentley organic baby.
Follow up reading:
Go Real is a completely independent source of information on Real Nappies and gives you access to advice from parents who have had experience of using Real Nappies. They also have a great Nappy Finder Tool, to find out about incentive schemes in your local area.
Mumsnet is a great website covering all aspects of parenting and raising a child. They have great reviews on all kinds of baby/childcare products, rated by real mums.