Darjeeling rice pudding
1. Heat the milk until the bubbles form at the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the Darjeeling tea leaves and leave to brew for about 1 hour and strain.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a medium sized baking dish.
3. Combine the water and the rice in a small saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for around 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Leave covered for 5 minutes, then fluff up the grains to separate them.
4. Stir in the tea-infused milk and salt into the rice and cook until the mixture starts to thicken – this should take 5 minutes.
5. Whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl. Slowly stir into the rice pudding mix, then add the golden raisins, mixing in thoroughly.
6. Transfer the rice pudding mix into the prepared dish and heat in oven until the pudding is firm. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with organic cinnamon sugar, if using.
This recipe comes to us courtesy of Steenbergs, and uses their vanilla extract, which is both organic and Fairtrade. If you’d like more recipe ideas have a look at the recipes on the Steenbergs website