Suma Quinoa – The Grain of the Past and Grain of the Future?
Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wa) is a grain that originates from the Andes mountains of South America and played an important part in the diet of the powerful ancient Inca civilisation and was known by them as the mother grain.
- (on average more than double that of rice) some varieties of quinoa are more than 20% protein.
There’s more good news
- quinoa’s protein is of a very high quality. It has almost perfect essential amino acid content and unlike other grains is high in lysine, methionine and cystine so provides an important balance when used with other grains.
Quinoa also contains other important nutrients
- sugars, oils, starch, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
It tastes good too
- quinoa is light and easily digested and has a unique and pleasant nutty flavour.
- quick to cook (around 15 minutes) it can be used in recipes in place of, or added to, another grain. There are many recipes which suggest quinoa in baking, soups, mueslis, salads and even desserts. This is a favourite from Rowena, one of our wonderful Suma canteen chefs.
What’s the catch?
- we don’t know of one, we want to let more people know about it.
This may really be “The Grain of the Future”!
Where can I get it?
- At Suma we have stocked quinoa in seed and flake form for some time now and believe that it has enormous potential for the future.
Beware poor quality
- As it gets more popular and more widely available it is essential to watch out for lower quality produce but as with all Suma’s products you can be assured we do all the checking and monitoring for you.
We guarantee that Suma’s quinoa is organic, gluten free and of the highest quality. We also include a fairtrade version in our range. Suma Quinoa