Keep allergies at bay this Spring with Suma
April 20, 2014 – 7:06 pm | No Comment

Spring has definitely sprung at Suma. Although a usual bright time of the year, the season, of course, can bring misery for hay fever sufferers. An all year round seller Higher Nature’s Saltpipe (MD180) can …

Read the full story »
Brand

The Suma range of food and household products. Our products are sourced ethically, with the environment in mind.

Recipes

Delicious vegetarian recipes created in our very own Suma canteen. Healthy meals, and a healthy amount of cakes too.

Ethics

Environmental issues, sustainable business practices, climate change, recycling, green living and more.

News

New developments and activities at Suma, press releases, and updates we think you’ll be interested in.

Cooperation

Suma is the uk’s largest workers’ cooperative. We operate equal pay and are democratically run by our members.

Home » Brand

Free Decaffeinated Coffee

Submitted by on March 25, 2010 – 12:27 pm75 Comments

Free Decaff coffee image Mar 10Have a cup of Decaff Heaven on us! Free Decaff!

Suma Organic and Fairtrade decaffeinated coffee – without compromise.

We believe we’ve discovered the best decaff around! Decaffeinated, using the Swiss Water Method*, and from Organic Fairtrade Colombian Beans that are freshly roasted to our order, this coffee is fast attracting converts fed up with the bland flavour profile of their current decaffeinated brew.

Tell us what decaff you drink

Leave us a message at the bottom of this page and tell us what decaff you normally drink, where you buy it from, what you like and don’t like about it and we’ll send the first 50 responses received before 30th April 2010, a  227g pack of our wonderbrew to try free of charge. (We’ll contact you by email to ask you for a UK postal address.)

*Not all decaffeination processes are the same. Most use chemical solvents such as methylene chloride or ethyl acetate are used to strip caffeine molecules from the green coffee bean. Alternatively, the unique SWISS WATER® Process uses water to gently remove the caffeine until the coffee beans are 99.9% caffeine-free, while maintaining the bean’s distinctive origin and flavour characteristics.

We look forward to hearing from you and hope you’ll enjoy Suma decaff as much as we do.

Read more about Suma organic and fairtrade coffees here.

75 Comments »

• geof atwell says:

Where possible I buy organic fairtrade decaffeinated but this combination is not always available so two out of three is good enough sometimes. And if it means dropping the decaffeinated I won’t complain; just make sure it is a high roast.

• Asanam says:

Drink any old decaff (espresso) now that I cannot find coffee from the Decaff Company.

• Jon Knight says:

Thanks all for commenting – the free coffee has all been claimed now. We hope to get comments from the lucky 50 once they’ve tasted it. We will be posting out the free samples over the next week.

• Yvonne Thomas says:

I am unable to have caffeine for medical reasons and I also am allergic to diary so have soya milk in my coffee. Soya overpowers the flavour of the coffee whether ground or instant and I have yet to find one strong enough, never mind fair trade or organic, to counteract the soya. I look forward to hearing what the ‘testers’ have to say about it.

• Brigid Hayward says:

I want to start using de caf, I’ve tried a few and really want to like them but I do struggle. I always try to go for fairtraid and organic.

• Jon Knight says:

In reply to Brigid and Yvonne – please let us know where you live (town, village) and we’ll let you know where the nearest Suma outlet to you is. Alternatively, please visit http://www.sumamarket.coop

Not had any feedback yet from the lucky recipients of free decaff. Come on you lot! Tell us what you think!

• Melanie Adams says:

At the moment I am drinking Sainsbury’s own brand.I always drink de caf anyway and I find this brand to be ok.Its not what I would call top quality,but its drinkable and I have tried alot of other brands.I never buy coffee on price alone,and have tried many brands,from Nescafe to Dewart Egberts.So Sainsburys brand is quite smooth but not very strong.

• Naomi says:

Well, I was one of the lucky winners. Thank you, Suma.

The coffee has duly been tried by myself and my mother. I have to admit that I can’t say it rocked my boat, but I’m not a regular coffee drinker. My mother, however, who is, enjoyed it and tells me she would buy it.

My major disappointment, mind, was that it came in an envelope with, instead of an address label on it or direct printing onto a window-free envelope, the address was printed on an A4 sheet of paper which was then folded in half so that the address showed through the window on the envelope. I can only hope that the paper used is made of environmentally-friendly materials. Such information is not shown on either the paper or the envelope. Little things…

• Ellie M says:

Wow, thanks so much for the coffee sample it’s fabulous!
    I wouldn’t have known it was decaf if I hadn’t read the packet- beautiful rich flavour which means I can happily drink decaf without feeling like I’m compromising on the quality of my coffee! :-)
    I’ve also shared cups with friends (pregnant and non caffiene drinkers) who also commented on how lovely the coffee was.
    I will definitely stock up with my next Suma order as I couldn’t drink another brand after tasting yours, Thanks again :-)

• Jon Knight says:

In reply to Naomi – thanks for getting back to us – we always try to strike a balance between functionality and appropriate use of resources. All our stationery and our catalogue is made from recycled paper stock.

• Sam says:

I normally drink Union Hand Roasted De-caff. A nice de-caff, very smooth and tasty. I’m all fopr good quality de-caff which hasn’t been treated in a harsh way.

• Joy says:

Thank you for the free sample of decaff received about three weeks ago.

I have used various Fairtrade decaff coffees for a long time, and some are definitely better than others. My mother and I shared the Suma free sample and whilst my mother thought it was “okay” (she seldom raves about anything!)I was very impressed. Suma has a lovely aroma and flavour and the fact that the decaff process doesn’t use harsh chemcicals is a big plus for me.

I will buy it when/if I can find an outlet locally. I would not be too concerned about the price as it’s such a lovely quality product.

By the way, I think your website is lovely too. Very informative and beautifully presented !!

• Rachel Shanks says:

It is great decaff coffee. It tastes like it’s ordinary coffee and there’s no bitter taste to it. Used to buy it and will order it again.

• Suma Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee | Go Organic Now - Discussing all things natural and organic says:

[...] I stopped drinking it all together, until I found Suma Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee, Yeah, now I can have a coffee at home when I want a [...]

• Rory
    Twitter: Rorygyle
    says:

Hello Suma, thanks for the free sample, I opened it last night with friends after dinner and the first impression was that it smelt great. There wasn’t much crema froth on the top of the cafetiere, but on tasting it I have to say it was extremely smooth, not at all bitter, and very drinkable. There was a fair amount of sludge at the bottom of our mugs though. I normally buy whole beans and grind them myself to suit a cafetiere.

I’ve not had a decaff coffee for years as I didn’t want chemically treated coffee, so this was a treat. I shall be buying myself a packet of Suma decaff beans when this packet runs out.

Thanks again for the freebie!

• Gordon W Shipley says:

I use Taylors De-cafe coffee at this time

• Andrew Weston says:

I have tried Whole Earth No Caf Instant Coffee but find it too mild

• sharon thomas says:

Usually drink nescafe but find it a bit bland (really like Alta Rica but can’t find de-caff verson).

• carol says:

i have sampled various usually supermarket own brands but am often disappointed by an inferior flavour. i d love to give suma a try

• pip goff says:

I buy oxfam decaff – and like the fact that it’s fair trade and that all money goes t oxfam but do think sometimes it’s a bit bitter

• Caroline Cardew-Smith says:

Hi,

I buy Percol Decaff Columbian from Waitrose. I like the taste better than a lot of others I have tried. I also buy this one because it’s fair trade.
    Cost £3.39 for 227gm

Sadly I can’t drink caffeinated coffee as it makes me feel really ill.

Our local shop stocks Suma, so I would happily buy from them.

Caroline

• Melanie says:

I normally buy Lavazza decaff but I’ve only just found out about the dangers of the chemicals in decaff coffee. I love the flavour of it because it tastes like normal coffee. I hate the fact that it’s full of chemicals!! Been buying organic decaff, hoping that would be better but now I know about the Swiss water method I need to find a new brand! Will look out for Suma but haven’t seen it local to me.

• Emma R says:

Hi Melanie,
    I’m glad to hear your feedback on our decaff coffee. Just to let you know you can now buy it on Amazon-

or if you want too find a local Suma stockist, call our customer support team (on the contacts page). Alternatively Grumpy Mule also have a Swiss Water decaff, so you could see if that is stocked locally to you.

Good luck on your hunt for the perfect decaff!

• Niki says:

I got very excited at the thought of a free sample, then realised:
    a) the offer was just a wee bit out of date and
    b) it’s the brand I already drink!!

My partner and I love coffee, but the decaff, organic and F/T combo is rarely available. We’ve tried loads of different makes and this one ticks all our boxes, including tasting GREAT!

I wish other coffee suppliers could get the idea that people who drink decaff coffee actually want it to taste of coffee!

Keep up the excellent solvent-free work!

• Green Coffee Doctor says:

‘ Enhance Your Metabolism: Taislim has been clinically shown to enhance metabolism by turning on the body’s thermogenic fatburning power without ephedra or harsh stimulants.
    Making regular appearances on ingredient labels of lotions and soaps,
    Aloe gel naturally infiltrates your skin,
    bringing its moisturizing abilities deep within for more effective healing.
    They will teach you how to make smart, healthy food choices that
    you can apply to your day to day life.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: