Suma Vegetarian Christmas Pudding Recipe
Christmas Pudding Recipe
Many people are disappointed with the vast array of factory mass produced Christmas puds on the market and equally daunted by the prospect of making their own.
So, we asked Sheena (Suma’s best pudding, cake and desert maker) amongst her many other talents, to give us an easy to follow recipe for a perfect Christmas pudding to amaze your friends and family.
We’ve also included the manufacturer of the ingredients and the www.sumawholesale.coop pricelist code numbers. This one is totally vegetarian friendly thanks to the vegetarian suet.
- 90g/3oz Breadcrumbs
- 45g/1.5oz Plain Flour (Doves/Suma Code: FG069)
- 125g/4oz Demerara (Billingtons/Suma Code : LJ987)
- 125g/4oz Vegetarian Suet (Community/Suma Code: GT101)
- 125g/4oz Sultanas (Suma/Suma Code: DR114)
- 125g/4oz Raisins (Suma/Suma Code: DR668)
- 125g/4oz Currants (Suma/Suma Code: DR073)
- 60g/2oz Chopped Almonds (Suma/Suma Code: NU085)
- 30g/1oz Chopped Cherries (Suma/Suma Code: DR221)
- 60g/2oz Mixed Peel (Suma/Suma Code: DR203)
- Rind of ½ a fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons of brandy
- ½ tsp nutmeg (Suma/Suma Code: HE187)
- 1 tsp mixed spice (Suma/Suma Code: HE148)
- Pinch of Bicarb (Suma/Suma Code: HE299)
- Pinch of salt (Cornish Sea Salt/Suma Code:LJ083)
- 2 Eggs (Bronte Browns/Suma Code: CV133)
Sheena’s Tip – you can mix and match the fruits to suit your taste, just keep the total weight the same. Any of our vine fruit mixes EG DR691 have a mix of dried fruits already to use. Or if you prefer to be a little more exotic add some chopped apricots, figs, prunes, dates.
Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
Add lemon zest, brandy and beaten egg and mix well.
Place in a well greased 1 ½ pint (850ml) bowl.
Cover with two well greased pieces of greaseproof paper, making sure there are two folds across the middle.
Steam for six hours, ensuring the pan never boils dry, remove the greaseproof paper when cold.
Re-cover with new greaseproof paper and store until needed
Relax with a glass of wine whilst steaming for 3 hours before serving. Remember not to let the pan boil dry.